Cookie Consent

Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Fifth Column: The AP Is Bewitched

The Fifth Column: The AP Is Bewitched
Leave it to historians to call sacraments "magic". I find many things academic historians teach to be intrinsically anti-Catholic. When Estase was an undergraduate, he used the book Charles II: The Last Rally by Hilaire Belloc to prepare for a debate on the Restoration. My professor, Caroline Hibbard told my not to consult Belloc, sniffing that he was "a victorian." Hibbard found fault with much of what I argued, despite the fact that it was entirely consistent with what Eamon Duffy argued a few years later in The Stripping of the Altars, and with documents in the collection The Stuart Constitution. Anti-Catholic historians? Next you'll tell me journalists like Obama.

No comments: