Cookie Consent

Friday, May 21, 2010

Anti-Popery, Past and Present

A ninth grader was sent home from school for wearing his rosary. Wow, that's horrible isn't it?

I learned today about the link between Robert Harley and A.A. Cooper. Britain in the Eighteenth century is so much cooler than twenty-first century America. No one had yet imbibed the heady wine of 1848 style collectivism yet. The political debates were between the Tories and the Whigs. If you ask me, the Tories are the ancestors of today's liberals. They mistrusted the military (no standing army) and they believed in collective rights instead of individual rights. They also mistrusted businessmen, and saw great danger in "Popery" (see also today's reflexively anti-Catholic school system where rosary beads are contraband.

The only question is why so often the Catholic Church puts itself on the side of the Tories, those who hate Catholicism and all it stands for.

1 comment:

Mark D. said...

Well, I like the 18th century better than the modern age!

Great blog, btw. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I'll add to my blogroll and I look forward to following your work here as well.

Cheers!