Cookie Consent

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Not a Hog Roast

One of my favorite bloggers, ELAshley (Serial Extremist) wrote something that I thought I would answer. Ashley said that Mary was a pagan goddess who was equal to Jesus himself. He also said that Catholic Masses are like "a giant pigroast." He may have said more than this, but these were the parts I found most insulting about Ashley's tirade. I am not writing this as a formal representative of the Catholic Church, but as a conservative who usually agrees with Ashley.

Mary is no more a pagan goddess than she is the Queen of England. This old chesnut comes from Chick Publications. Chick prints the most satanic lies about the Catholic faith, but many well-meaning Protestants take these accusations seriously. Ashley said that since Mary was free from sin, that means she could have redeemed mankind. Sorry, that's not true either. Mary is not God. Mary is free from sin because the Redeemer, if born of a woman with original sin, would be in the odd position of being guilty of Adam and Eve's sins. Ashley also thinks Mary was not a virgin. So Joseph really did have reason to think Mary was cheating on him? If you were God the Father, would you choose an ordinary, sexually active woman to carry your divine son? I think not.

Also, Ashley is one of the many Protestants who believe in the inerrancy of the Bible, with the exception of the Last Supper part. When I go to the Father at the end of time, I would certainly hate to explain that not only did I not believe in the Eucharist, but chose to call it a hog roast. Jesus is not a hog roast.

I hope that Ashley will avoid offending conservatives like me by half baked religious commentary. I wonder if this is really the best way to discuss serious issues.

No comments: